Thursday, September 21, 2006

Visiting the Orphanage

Today we visited Zoe and Molli's home for the past 16 months. The Lu'An Children's Welfare Institute is located about 1.5 hours west of Hefei. We travelled by bus with about 5 of the 9 families. We were torn about whether we should bring the babies, but we did want to see the orphanage, and thought they would handle it OK.

Are we glad we went? Yes and no.

Yes, because now we can describe to Zoe where she lived, show her pictures of the bed she slept in, describe the city of Lu'an, the orphanage, and the nannies. These may be important to her someday.

No, because it was sad. We were only shown rooms where the babies slept. Each room had about 12 babies, and they were divided by age. We saw about 60 babies, from tiny newborns (two to a crib) to toddlers walking around. The rooms had no carpeting, and no toys. We can only assume they had other rooms for playing and eating. The playground was run down and a bit dangerous looking. Lisa said she wished she could take all the babies home and pass them out to her friends and family. You all wouldn't mind would you?

That said, the nannies seemed to truly care for and love the children. They kissed and hugged our babies, and some cried when they saw them. The rooms were clean and there was music playing. Rui spoke with the orphanage doctor, who knew all of the babies, and their medical conditions. She specifically asked about each one, and had some special instructions for Linda and Don, because Molli has a rash which has not cleared up. We stayed about 10 minutes (5 minutes longer than the adoption administrator wanted us to) and left. I would normally post pictures, but we were asked not to.

Lisa kept Zoe in the carrier attached to her body. She said she knew as soon as she walked into Zoe's room, because Zoe tensed up, pinched Lisa's arm, and began to fuss. Lisa walked out immediately, and Zoe calmed down. Zoe's nanny was not there, which was probably a good thing, although we would have liked to have met her.

There are organizations that help provide much needed supplies and assistance to orphanages in China. If you are interested, go to www.lovewithoutboundaries.com or www.halfthesky.org.

So now for a few more pictures from today:

Breakfast on the 29th floor revolving restaurant. I think we are all getting tired of eating the breakfast buffet. They have a lot of things available, but the "western" items are getting tedious. Both Katie and Doug have started drinking coffee with breakfast. We're startin' em young!



Zoe, Molli and Linda on the bus. They still don't play together, and it's tough to get a smile out of Molli, but one day I expect they will be tight as glue.



One of Zoe's favorite things to do is look out windows. She makes funny chirping noises like a yip when she see's something interesting. Here she is looking out the bus window.



Not sure what this was, but a giant bald caucasian person with no eyes, ears, nose or mouth suddenly appeared outside my bus window. He looked strangely like my finger, but anyway . . . this was a shot of the bicyclists riding along the highway. Also, notice the neatly manicured hedges? We saw a man out in the middle of nowhere trimming these hedges with manual scissor-like pair of hedge clippers. For 10 miles in one direction, they were nice. For 10 miles in the other direction, they were ragged. You think YOUR job sucks?



Doug poses for yet another picture with a local resident. This was at the end of a group dinner at a "real" Chinese restaurant. Doug and Katie loved the duck (aka - chicken) and bamboo shoot soup. This woman told Rui she thought Doug was very handsome.

6 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an Awesome story! I found Lisa's Mon. May 29 entry especially touching. This is truly a dream come true for Lisa and her family. Congratulations to you all!!!

Teresa Maldonado
(Kathy's coworker)

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, I admit it - I am officially a 'blogaholic'. And I do believe I am the leakiest-eyed person on the planet - to think I used to get irritated with my Grandmother for doing so.......... Having said that, there are no words for Jerry's latest note other than to say I will be going on the sites you've posted and sending a donation. And I LOVE you all more than I can say.
Sandy (who truly wishes she were 20 years younger and could do exactly what you're doing0

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took some time this afternoon to get caught up on your blog. Although, I have to say, everyone around here has pretty much kept me up-to-date via breakroom discussions. This is all so exciting! And yes, Lisa, Gonzo and I definitely would have taken one or two of those babies if you'd managed to sneak them out of the orphanage! Zoe is a treasure and I haven't stopped smiling after seeing the pictures and reading about your adventures. And, that poem from Grandfather Varon is such a keepsake. You all are so lucky to have each other and Zoe is so lucky to have you!
Cynthia Hunold

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hi,
I've loved reading your journey. Dottie is my MIL and she gave me your blog address. It's so sweet to see you becoming a family. Maybe one day I can meet this amazing little girl. We are in the process of adopting our first child from Taiwan.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do not know where to begin, but WOW. I am so happy for you all and glad to see Kathy was able to go with you, I know she must be beside herself. What an awesome experience for everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with all of us that are not there with you. I promise to visit this winter. You all are the most wonderful people I have ever met, I miss all of you, and your extended families who have always made me feel like an "adopted" member.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger SARA said...

OMG your bald caucasion guy picture is CrAcKiNg Me Up!!!!!!
I am still ROFL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home